Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Amazing Garbage

I normally wouldn't waste the typing time to draw attention to something like this. But I just can't resist.

I am naturally drawn to any headline about Hillary Clinton, and in particular I am titillated by any mention of a future presidential run. That's how I came to read this piece of amazing garbage: Hillary Clinton keeping her eye on the 2012 presidency

I won't give it the credence a full reprint here would give.

However, it should be noted that the author, Brian Mark Weber (from his tagline): "...is a professor of United States History at American Military University and professor of English at Anne Arundel Community College. He holds an MA degree in Military History, an MA degree in English Literature, and a BA degree in American History and English..."

An accomplished scholar, one would assume.

Here's some gems from the article:

The demise of President Barack Obama has set the stage for the candidacy of Hillary Rodham Clinton in 2012

This is the opening line of the article. So, apparently Joe Biden is President now, because Barack Obama is dead. Obviously this joker is referring to Obama's declining poll numbers, which in fairness, is somewhat more dramatic than other Presidents in this stage of their presidency. I'll give Prof. Weber that much. (Although it's really Jay Cost at RealClearPolitics.com who explains it believably.)

clearly dissatisfied with her role as Secretary of State

I may have read her completely wrong, but I don't think so. I know a lot about Hillary Clinton, how she operates, and what her long-range strategy planning looks like. A lot. And, it seems to me, Secretary Clinton is happy as a pig in mud over at Foggybottom. She is in her element 100%, is excelling at the job, and still enjoying soaring approval ratings, a good 20 points higher than the President on any given day. She is well on her way to being one of the most respected, famous, and successful Secretaries of State in American history. Which brings me to...

Clinton has not abandoned her dream of becoming the first woman to assume the office of President of the United States

No, she hasn't. Weber is right on that count, no matter what she herself may be saying about it right now. Any smart politician knows better than to talk about running for president until it's time to actually do it. And that time, barring disaster, is 2016. And, entirely contrary to Weber's viewpoint that Clinton's presidential aspirations are "completely dependent upon the failure of the Obama presidency," they are in fact, dependent on the success of his presidency, and on re-election in 2012. The only person who is going to be president in 2012 other than Barack Obama is a Republican. Believe me, I would love to see HRC challenge Obama in the 2012 primaries, win, and take the White House, but it's just not reality. Not any reality.

In closing, let me apologize. I know it seems I trash other journalist a lot. But people read this drivel and believe it. Watching David Letterman last night he said in his monologue something to the effect of, "People are saying that once President Obama's health care plan goes through, 'death panels' will decide end of life care..." This snapped me to attention; people are not saying it - -Sarah Palin said it, and now it has been regurgitated enough times that it has become something "people are saying." Again, drivel, garbage, demagoguery. So, yes, I will continue to criticize other writers who talk out their ass. I guess that wasn't much of an apology.

No comments: